Did you know that 51% of surveyed organisations experienced fraud in the past two years? In today’s digital age, protecting sensitive information from fraudsters is essential across industries. With businesses, organisations and even individuals using digital transactions, ensuring the integrity of documents is very important.
Digital transactions today have made processes such as opening a bank account or signing up for a new SIM card highly convenient. However, with increased digital processes, there has been an increase in avenues for fraudulent transactions. These fraudulent activities range from account takeovers and phishing to large-scale identity thefts.
An important method to protect individuals and companies from fraud would include evaluating the integrity of documents. Digitisation enables seamless document storage and sharing but also requires robust security measures to prevent manipulation and unauthorised access. This can be done by implementing stringent document tampering detection and encryption techniques. In this blog, we’ll delve into document tamper detection and why it is essential for your business.
What is tamper detection?
An important step in verifying digital identity documents, tamper detection refers to identifying whether a document has been unauthorisedly manipulated or altered. This is done to ensure the integrity of documents and to check that their accuracy and authenticity have not been compromised.
Fraudsters make use of various techniques to tamper with documents, both in physical and digital forms. These include impersonation, which refers to using stolen identities to modify identity documents such as ID cards, passports and driving licenses.
Another common tampering method is the digital manipulation of scanned documents using photo and text editing software to create counterfeit identity documents. Along with this, in cases where documents are stored digitally, fraudsters gain unauthorised access to databases and alter sensitive information.
To protect users’ critical information and counter these tampering methods, companies and individuals need to implement robust security measures, that include encryption, evaluating a document’s authenticity and identifying potential fraud indicators. Along with this, identity and document verification should be done only through trusted channels.
Why is identifying tampered documents essential?
A critical step in verifying the authenticity of documents, tamper detection ensures that documents are unaltered and trustworthy. Here are a few reasons why identifying tampered documents is necessary.
- Combating identity fraud: Tampered documents can be used by fraudsters to steal a customer’s identity, leading to financial losses and reputational damage. When stringent methods to identify tampered documents are in place, companies can protect their user’s sensitive data, ensuring only verified individuals gain access to critical information.
- Verifying user authenticity: Detecting tampered documents enables firms to verify that their users are who they claim to be, preventing unauthorised alterations that compromise their document’s validity. It ensures that documents being provided for identity verification are authentic, fostering trust in digital transactions.
- Enabling secure transactions: Verifying a document’s authenticity prevents unauthorised individuals from gaining access to protected information, thereby securing digital transactions. With stringent tamper detection, organisations can easily detect manipulated documents, thereby preventing fraud.
- Regulatory compliance: With the financial sector across the world regulated by numerous compliance laws, implementing strict tamper proofing helps companies identify fraudulent individuals, safeguarding their user’s critical information, while staying regulatory compliant.
- Maintaining reputation: Since tamper detection prevents unauthorised access to sensitive data, it enables companies to protect themselves from being associated with fraudulent activities, safeguarding their reputation.
How does uqudo’s document tamper detection work?
uqudo’s tamper detection involves robust features to enhance your company’s user onboarding. This includes
- Source detection: With the source detection feature, while onboarding your user, you can detect if the document being presented is a physical document. This eliminates the risk associated with screens and print copies, providing assurance that the document is real and not tampered with.
- ID photo tampering detection: With our AI and machine learning algorithms, we can verify the integrity of the photo on the identity document. This identifies the presence of any tampering with the ID photo, along with a corresponding score, that enables you to quantify the photo’s authenticity.
- Data consistency check: The data consistency check feature meticulously identifies inconsistencies across all stages of your KYC journey. This includes optical scanning, NFC checks and lookups, providing an enhanced identity verification process for your users.
What makes uqudo’s tampering detection ideal for your KYC journey?
With enhanced document authenticity checks, uqudo’s tampering detection can prove to be vital in safeguarding your company’s interest while onboarding new customers.
- Enhanced data integrity: Our tamper detection’s source detection check ensures that users present only physical documents in real-time during their onboarding, preventing fraudsters from gaining access to sensitive data. This in turn eliminates the need for physical document scanners, streamlining your customer’s onboarding journey.
- Advanced fraud protection: Using advanced algorithms, our platform can identify any tampering attempts with the photo ID on the document. This prevents fraudsters with synthetic identities and stolen profiles from accessing your digital platform.
- Maintaining data consistency: With comprehensive tamper detection, our platform ensures that user data presented throughout the digital onboarding process is consistent, providing a secure and reliable identity verification process. This automated check also eliminates the risk of manual errors and oversights.
How can uqudo support your customer’s onboarding process?
Are you tired of slow, costly and inefficient KYC processes?
With uqudo’s automated digital identity verification, powered by our proprietary AI technology, we can enhance your user’s digital onboarding experience, making it faster, compliant and error-free.
Our seamless KYC, AML & Screening, KYB and Authentication processes can seamlessly integrate into your company’s onboarding workflow, enhancing your digital processes/ using our AI-powered document scanning and OCR technology, you can extract identity data from your customer documents in milliseconds, reducing customer onboarding time. Our AML screening utilises one of the world’s largest databases of sanctioned individuals, protecting you from onboarding fraudulent individuals. Along with this, our advanced technology stack can be seamlessly integrated and customised according to your platform’s requirements, making your user experience reliable and compliant.
Interested to learn more about how this works? Get in touch with our product specialists here!